Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ants vs. Air Traffic Controllers

I thought I'd carry on a theme here from my last post. Today, let's talk about the situational awareness capabilities of raiders.


The Ant:


I was listening to a book (I won't mention which one, so that I can keep my nerdiness level as is, rather than elevating it to ridiculous heights), and I heard a quote that immediate brought WoW to mind: "The sound perception of an ant does not include thunder."


Now, I have no idea whether or not ants can actually hear thunder, but the idea is clear. Likewise, I have no idea about a lot of things concerning ants. But here's what I think I know about them. Ants labor industriously on one task at a time, concentrating on digging or foraging for food. They can even graduate to new tasks like defending the nest. An ant, however, cannot defend the nest and dig at the same time. They deal with a problem if it affects them (moving a stick out of the way of their paths) but have little care for much else.


Unfortunately, this type of mindset can also apply to raiders. Sometimes this can be a simple case of tunnel vision. The best of raiders occasionally concentrate too hard on one aspect of a fight, and end up missing another. However, it is often just simple lack of Situational Awareness.



The Air Traffic Controller:

Well, I really think the list of competencies from the Wikipedia article on Air Traffic Controllers says it all:
"Excellent short-term memory and situational awareness, good mathematical skills, quick and assertive decision making abilities, ability to handle stress."


As a mathematician, I, of course, think that good mathematical skills are a must in any situation, but the rest of the items on the list fit in perfectly with the point I'm trying to make. It is, of course, ideal that situational awareness is right there in the list without me having to bring it up on my own.


So what kind of raider are you? The Ant? or the Air Traffic controller? Be honest with yourself.
Here's a hint: If you get mind controlled on Blood Queen, I don't want you in the fucking tower when my plane is coming in for a landing. And please, be honest with yourself.

If you're not sure, well then, you're probably not smart enough to be playing the game to begin with. Go back to your cave.

No comments:

Post a Comment